Magento 2 has come with an all new feature with the Out of the box called ‘Login as Customer’.
However this feature is only accessible to store administrators only. This enables the store admin full access in viewing each customers’ order history, checking their wish list items, and customer-related information with the help of logging in on the behalf of the customer when they click on the given option from the admin panel.
When you first open the website this setting will be disabled by default but can be enabled in the Admin panel, and then it will grant you access to all the functionality as that customer.
In order to enable these settings follow the steps given below:
- Head over to the Admin Panel – on the left sidebar click on the tab Stores > Settings > Configuration.
- On the left panel you’ll find Customers, from there you can select the Login as Customer option.
- As soon as a drop down is visible select Yes. “Enable Extension > Yes”
- It’s optional whether you choose to Disable Page Cache for Admin User
- Set Store View to Log option is also optional. Depending on your settings being set as multi-website or multi-store will also be able to select Manual Selection.
- Lastly, hit Save Configuration to enable the extension and you’re ready to view as a customer!
If you want you can assign this function to a specific admin user by setting it to Custom permission in the admin panel.
As Magento has various Roles and Permission features that can be assigned to specific users. This can be done in the following manner:
- Tap on System > Permissions > User Roles from the sidebar to your left in the admin panel.
- You’ll see a Role Information panel, click on the link Role Resources.
- Change the Role Resources to Custom.
- Look for the Customers section along with the Login as Customer option right below it and select it.
- Hit Save to save the permission and you’re good to go!